Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Taking My Bike (Out)

So today I decided to ride my bike to the Metro stop instead of either taking the bus or walking. It took about 7 minutes to ride there, a big improvement from the normal 22-minute walk.

And then I discovered I didn’t have the key to my bike lock.

So now what?

Well I had a couple of options. Option 1, ride back home. Option 2, walk or bike to the bike shop that’s about a half-mile down the street and buy another bike lock. Or there was option 3, leave the bike where it was, unlocked and bet that no one will steal it.

I will put better than even money the bike will still be there at 5:30 p.m. It’s sitting pretty inconspicuously amongst other (locked) bikes at a bike rack. But even more germane, anyone who takes the bike will have the same problem I have, it still has a bike lock on it without a key. I’m not sure where my key for that lock is.

The thing is that this is is not a valuable bike at all. The only value it has is the seat which I bought for about $40 four years ago. Considering I acquired the bike for free when someone left it on the side of the road with a sign that said “free” I would consider it an apt trade if someone took it. That’s ultimately why I’m almost rooting for it to be gone. It’s mostly something that sits and takes up room in my apartment. Plus, it would give me an excuse to buy my dream bike if I could ever come up with the money. Now there’s a bike I would ride (or so I tell myself).

UPDATE: Sweet! As predicted, my bike was still there. And, even better, I found my bike lock key!

No comments: